Crickhowell High School girls ski squads took part in their first ever race on Thursday 21st June in the South East Wales Schools Ski Championships and were a great success. There were 48 entrants from 8 schools and our first team – Saskia Henry-Davies (captain), Bethany Woollard, Arwen Hobson and Lauren French – managed to win silver medals in the team event. The second team of Isobel Pearce, Megan Fryer and Jess Dykes, although unmedalled, skied exceptionally well, just missing out on the bronze medal to Brecon High School.
Amazingly, given that the squad have only been practicing for a few weeks, there were also some individual medals:
- Saskia Henry-Davies won gold for the fastest U14 female skier
- Arwen Hobson won silver for the fastest U14 female skier
- Saskia Henry-Davies won silver for the fastest unregistered female skier in the whole secondary school competition
- Arwen Hobson won bronze for the fastest unregistered female skier in the whole secondary school competition
- Bethany Woollard won bronze for the fastest U16 fastest female skier
The girls’ ski squad will now prepare for the Welsh National Schools’ Championships and we are aiming to enter at least 2 teams for Llangrannog on Sunday 14th October. We are always looking for new members and you can even start learning to ski as a total beginner. Email Julia Hawkins on firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in joining the squad.