Would you like to delve into the fascinating world of Ancient Rome, explore the life style and culture of that time? Even a brief encounter with the ancient world not only fires our imagination, but also sheds a dazzling light on why we are as we are.
For generations a classical education was considered a privilege for the few. Now its revival in primary and secondary education is well under way. Classical subjects equip pupils with grammar, critical thinking and language skills.
Latin at Crickhowell High School is funded by the generous support of the charitable organization, Classics for All. We are the first school in Wales to receive a grant, largely through the efforts of our superb Classics teacher, Mrs Jayne Treasure, who has been teaching Classics for the last 30 years and is also the Deputy Director of the Primary Latin Project for the UK. If you would like more information, please contact Mrs Treasure on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lessons start next week on Monday 11th September 2017 at 8.30 am. See below for the timetable.
If you still need convincing why you would study such an old language………………..
- Latin is the next step after phonics (the system by which we learn English letters and their sounds).
- Half of our English vocabulary is made up of Latin words and roots.
- Latin provides the root words for all of the modern sciences.
- Latin is the language of law, government, logic, and theology.
- Latin is the most efficient way to learn English grammar.
- Latin is the best preparation for learning any language.
- Latin effectively develops and trains the mind.
- Latin aids the mind in other ways …
- Latin is transformative.
- Latin is the language of Western Civilization.
……. AND IT’S GREAT FUN!