Crickhowell and District Community Partnership see the school as both integral and pivotal in the development of accessible community sporting facilities. It is all too readily recognised that the current external leisure facilities (Tennis Courts and Redgra) are in a very poor condition and in desperate need of renewing and updating. Although there has been a drive to improve facilities in other parts of Wales there is no funding available here for this much needed project. Therefore it is incumbent upon the school and community to raise the required funds to enable the essential improvements. Failure to provide such suitable facilities is detrimental to both the pupils and the surrounding community.
The intended new and improved facilities will enable a broader range of opportunities and activities for both the school and community. The use of floodlighting will enable opening times to be extended allowing wider usage of the sports hall.
The provisional costs for the updating of the Tennis Courts into a Multi Use Games Area is £135,000 and for the Redgra Area £350,000.
Considerable efforts have been made by the Partnership to date including:
- The identification of local need through meetings, online and face to face surveys.
- The creation of a sustainable business plan which is a requirement not only for long term planning but also to meet the requirements of bid organisations.
- The contribution of nearly 300 hours of voluntary time to the project by Partnership members.
- Attaining the Full support of Powys County Council for the Partnership’s aims.
- Adoption of a vision, values and mission of the Partnership.
- Written a letter to the school for all parent of CHS to update them.
- Held a school pupil logo competition for January 2014, prizes to be awarded on 1st February at Crickhowell Pantomime’s Matinee performance.
In the time devoted to the project we have been grateful for the donation to date from:
- Crickhowell Town Council
- Percy Davies Trust
- Crickhowell 21
- Crickhowell Pantomime
- Crickhowell Friends Association
In addition to the above Crickhowell High School pupils have raised £800 towards the project.
Thank you to the Governing Body of CHS for their continued support.